1 medium onion (I used dried, minced onion)
3 cloves garlic or 3 teaspoons chopped garlic in a jar
1 teaspoon dried whole oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2- 15 ounce cans (3 cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, finely minced (optional)
1. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Cook onion and garlic until tender (about 5 minutes); add water if needed.
2. Stir in spices; cook 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Place 1/2 of beans in blender and puree until smooth, adding broth as needed to help make it smooth.
4. Add pureed beans, remaining broth, and remaining beans to onion mixture. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with chopped tomatoes, onions, and cheese.
For a complete meal, add a salad, fruit, and cornbread, or a grilled vegetable sandwich.
from Eating Expectantly by Bridget Swinney